This is easy to prepare and flexible, great for a work lunch. The condensed soup, potatoes, and cheese blend into a wonderful gooey cheesiness that compliments the hearty meat and veggies. Thank you Kammy Lee for the inspiration for this dish!
Notes: Season the meat however you want. A seasoning packet could work well. For vegetarians, I strongly suspect that seasoned tempeh would go well in this. Based on my experiments, I also believe that a dairy free version of this recipe would work well, just replace the soup with some kind of gravy (or leave it out entirely if you want a drier pie).
Makes 5 medium-large meals (could easily be halved)
Going at a moderate pace it takes me an hour
- 1-2 lbs 15% fat ground beef
- 1-2 Tbl Worcestershire sauce
- ½-1 tsp powdered onion
- ½-1 tsp powdered garlic
- 20 oz frozen veggies (one or two bags, suggest a mix of carrots, corn, peas, and green beans)
- 20 oz condensed cream of mushroom soup (probably two containers)
- ~ 3-4 cups instant mashed potatoes flakes (may wish to add butter and salt to improve flavor)
- 1-2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- Cooking the beef on medium high in a frying pan. Add seasonings (Worcestershire sauce, powdered onion, powdered garlic) and break up with a spatula. Cook until beef has turned brown and most of liquid is gone. If necessary, use a thermometer to test if the beef is food safe.
- While beef is cooking make the instant mashed potatoes (it came out to be 3-4 cups of the dry potato flakes which was re-hydrated by adding boiling water until the potatoes were the desired consistency). Add salt and butter to taste.
- Set out empty microwave-safe tupperware dishes. Put a layer of fully cooked beef on the bottom. Then put in a layer of frozen veggies, followed by a layer of condensed cream of mushroom soup, then a layer of mashed potatoes, and top with grated cheddar cheese. Cap with a lid and put in the fridge.
- When ready to eat, remove the lid and microwave on high until hot and bubbly (it sometimes helps it cook evenly if you make a hole in the center before microwaving). Enjoy!